News:

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I like your pixie drink!

Main Menu

Front rotors on '85 Nighthawk 650

Started by b_w, Sep 06, 2022, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b_w

Hi all,

Just picked up an '85 Nighthawk 650 that runs well, but needs a little TLC. I am getting ready to do front pads, rotors, and caliper rebuild. I'm not seeing many options for new rotors, OEM or aftermarket. Can these rotors be resurfaced? The current ones aren't in terrible shape, but they are grooved.

Thanks

mollusc

Your Honda Service Manual should have a wear limit in it, so you can go down to that thickness plus enough to operate safely without overheating them.

I remember that there were a lot of hard spots when I turned the rotors on my CX, so you may need to take off more material than you expect.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

iambreed

Hello. Do you know the part numbers required for a front caliper rebuild? Also, do you know the wear measurements for the front rotor? I'm also seeing very few options for front rotors besides $300 OEM. Thanks!

Gene

The service limit on the 83-85 front discs is 4mm or .16in. You should also check for warpage, the service limit is .30mm or .012in If needed, the discs might be able to be turned. However, I'm not sure where, the Honda dealer or a automotive machine shop. To get part numbers and/or parts, you might try Partzilla or David Silver Spares.
1985 Honda CB 650sc with 14,000 miles

genespleen

CBR600F2 rotors are compatible and are drilled, to boot:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/458/

The bike in the link is not mine, but I have done this swap on my '85 CB650sc.