News:

UPLOAD YOUR F*&%$G PICTURES TO A HOSTING SITE!!!!

Main Menu

New Nighthawk Owner

Started by NighthawkRider9, Jun 13, 2024, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NighthawkRider9

Hello Everyone!

Ive been Riding for a while but went a couple years without a bike, and picked up a 92 Nighthawk 750 with 30,000 miles on it last month. I love it! Its everything Ive wanted in a bike, but I will say after riding again im going to need something faster haha. Anyway I wanted to see if I could get some advice on a couple things with this bike...Ive already done as much research as possible, but still cant find a definitive answer.

When checking the oil, do you thread the dip stick all the way in, or just rest it on the threads? Ive heard people say both, and ive downloaded the owners manual but it dosent specify either way. I know it dosent make a huge difference either way; but still id like to get it as close as possible.

Regarding oil, I changed the oil with Motul 1500V synthetic 10W-40....Im thinking about going back to honda conventional GN4. Any advice on oil? Ive had no clutch issues with synthetic; but I think the consensus is conventional is the way to go. Will synthetic hurt it? IS it ok if I just drain the old synthetic and switch to conventional?

Another thing is...well riding on the freeway at 70-80 my RPMS are 5500-6500.... Will this hurt it for prolonged time everyday? My commute is an hour each way. I counted the teeth on the sprockets and they are stock size. I know the bike SHOULD be ok, but redline is only 8500 I believe.

Anything else I should know about the Hawk?  Thanks a bunch everyone!!!!

Bob H

Quote from: NighthawkRider9 on Jun 13, 2024, 08:38 PMWhen checking the oil, do you thread the dip stick all the way in, or just rest it on the threads?
This is the more recent edition of manual (not the blue cover one)

and this is from the owners manual on my '93 also says not to screw the dipstick in

I have no idea why they say to run the engine then check it "after a few minutes". I have always checked it before starting the engine, assuming the oil needs to drain down. Anyway, it is with the dipstick resting on the threads, not screwed in.
Quote from: NighthawkRider9 on Jun 13, 2024, 08:38 PMRegarding oil, I changed the oil with Motul 1500V synthetic 10W-40....Im thinking about going back to honda conventional GN4. Any advice on oil? Ive had no clutch issues with synthetic; but I think the consensus is conventional is the way to go. Will synthetic hurt it?
Nothing wrong with synthetic. I recently changed from a semi synthetic to the same full synthetic Motul you have and there are zero issues. Keep what you have. It isn't cheap oil.
Quote from: NighthawkRider9 on Jun 13, 2024, 08:38 PMAnother thing is...well riding on the freeway at 70-80 my RPMS are 5500-6500.... Will this hurt it for prolonged time everyday? My commute is an hour each way. I counted the teeth on the sprockets and they are stock size. I know the bike SHOULD be ok, but redline is only 8500 I believe.
the bike will be fine at that RPM, it won't hurt it. Personally I went from stock 15 tooth front to 16 and love it, been running that ratio for 10 years. I did it more for the twisty canyons, to avoid having to shift from 2nd to 3rd so often if I could wind it out in 2nd before the next tighter turn. It cut my freeway RPM by maybe 250 to 500
Quote from: NighthawkRider9 on Jun 13, 2024, 08:38 PMAnything else I should know about the Hawk? 
The front brake is rather weak. I put sintered H&H pads on mine which made the biggest change. The braided lines were not that noticeable of a change. don't run shortie levers, you need all the leverage you can get for that front brake. If the brake fluid isn't really fresh, change the fluid.
1993 Nighthawk 750

NighthawkRider9

Thank you SO much! Ive been trying to find that piece of information for like two weeks and couldnt download the "users manual" only the service manual,so anyway thank you very much Sir! Im out of state working but when i get back Ill take the Hawk out for a ride and make sure I get the oil level dialed in.

Its good to know the RPMS arent within the realm of blowing up the motor....I do like to do my fair share of..."spirited" riding on it, thats for sure, but I was curious what was normal at that speed. I guess Ill just cruise a little more and use it more as a canyon carving bike than a commuter/freeway blaster. Ill need to save up for a hornet or cb100r for that!  ;D  ;D    Man the addiction just never ends, hahaha

Thanks for the heads up about the brakes and oil...Its funny I was looking at shorty levers for it, but I think Ill just keep this bike nice and bone stock...When i get time off ill go through it and flushing the brake fluid and sintered pads will be next on my list along with all the usual maintenance items...

Well Im really stoked I grabbed this bike when I did; I always liked the look of them when I was younger but never got one until now. I remember on craigslist they were a dime a dozen but it seems like the ones out there now are all "well used" and pricey....so im glad i ended up with this one. Hopefully Ill get some good miles out of it! Im shooting for 100K+ haha
  Thanks again!

Bob H

Quote from: NighthawkRider9 on Jun 15, 2024, 08:55 PMIll need to save up for a hornet or cb100r for that!  ;D  ;D    Man the addiction just never ends, hahaha
I had liter bikes when I was younger, but downsized on purpose.
Unless you are riding WFO all the time (like on a small dirt bike) there is really no "need" for anything bigger than a 750.
Sometimes I miss the sudden rush of power, but then I remember the wisdom of gradual smooth inputs. Don't grab a fistfull of throttle when leaned over in a curve, or ham-fist the brakes. Smooth control. That is something a mild tuned mid-size bike does well.

My bike even has Anti-lock brakes (kinda weak) and traction control (below 100 Hp)
1993 Nighthawk 750

Larry Fine

Quote from: Bob H on Jun 15, 2024, 09:30 PMUnless you are riding WFO all the time (like on a small dirt bike) there is really no "need" for anything bigger than a 750.
I used to say the same thing . . . until I got an ST1100.

QuoteSometimes I miss the sudden rush of power, but then I remember the wisdom of gradual smooth inputs. Don't grab a fistfull of throttle when leaned over in a curve, or ham-fist the brakes. Smooth control. That is something a mild tuned mid-size bike does well.
The ST has a particularly wide power band and controllable torque at low revs.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100
'07 ST1300

mollusc

Quote from: NighthawkRider9 on Jun 15, 2024, 08:55 PMThank you SO much! Ive been trying to find that piece of information for like two weeks and couldnt download the "users manual" only the service manual...

The info you were looking for should also be in the service manual.
Both documents are usually available for sale online.  There are often several copies for sale on eBay at any given time.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)