News:

Repeat after me:  pods do not work with CV carbs.

Main Menu

Forks

Started by Gene, Jun 13, 2024, 02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene

Moderator please put this in a different category if necessary.  Thank you

1985 650sc NH

Fork seals leaking. Have the factory service manual and the Clymer manual. Watched video's on line, the motorcycle MD video makes it look easy for the none-trac side. But.... he doesn't cover the trac system fork.
I also plan on refurbishing the Trac system, and have all parts.

The motorcycle MD video covers the non-trac side  It has you remove the 6mm bolt, the circlip at the top that holds the seal in, then "hammer" the seal out by quickly pulling the fork leg out forcefully. Once the old seal is out, you can replace the seal and any other parts that are worn or damaged.

I'm worried about the Trac side however, this way may damage something. Anyone done this job?

Thank you.

1985 Honda CB 650sc with 14,000 miles

mollusc

I didn't have to do anything special with the TRAC components on my 700S as far as fork disassembly goes.  I don't know for sure if the forks have the same internals as yours but I can't see why they wouldn't be mostly the same.  I don't think the TRAC extends into the fork tube but I never tried to disassemble that part.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Gene

Update:

I happened to find a couple of youtube video's today that made me rethink the rebuild option

The products are called:
Windage motorcycle fork seal saver
And
Squatch racing seal mate.
Both on Amazon and under $20

I think they both do the same thing but they are so cheap I ordered both to review.

Bob H

Quote from: Gene on Jun 13, 2024, 09:02 PMWindage motorcycle fork seal saver
And
Squatch racing seal mate.
The first one looks identical to the Risk Racing Seal Dr. I used about 4 years ago. I also used the Seal Mate (mine was branded Motion Pro).
They pull dirt out from the seal (be sure to pull the dust cap up and out of the way so you are looking at the actual seal). They stopped a nasty oil leak for about 6 months, but it started to come back. I kept digging out dirt then eventually it stopped helping and I had to take the forks apart and change seals (pain in the ass).

It should buy you some time. After I did the new seals I put on some "Shock Sox" to cover the area above the seals so they would stay clean.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Gene

Bob those "shock sox" look promising.

Bob H

Quote from: Gene on Jun 14, 2024, 12:24 PMBob those "shock sox" look promising.
Yeah I did not want to go through the seal install again.
Mine are 6" and run above the dust seal.
Keeps out Bug guts, rock chips, dirt clinging to thin film of oil.
https://shop.thepowercenter.com/shock-sox-street-shock-sox-detail.htm?productId=28225554
1993 Nighthawk 750

Gene

Anyone have a trac left fork leg like these pictures?