News:

Why are you looking up here??  The good stuff is all further down the page.

Main Menu

Nighthawk gearing

Started by Sunsetter 61, Jun 11, 2024, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunsetter 61

Recently purchased '93 Nighthawk in great condition.  I've always admired these bikes.  Anyway, this is my first foray into riding on the road.  I"m a little surprised at the "tallness" of first gear.  I had not expected to have to feather the clutch + throttle so much in leaving from a stop sign or light.  I'm afraid I will wear out the clutch quickly.  Is this normal?  Could I/should I look into replacing the rear sprocket with something a bit smaller (I'm not too concerned about top speed - this is a touring bike for me)?  Or, is the clutch in this bike more robust than I"m giving it credit for?  By the way, I did watch many online reviews of these bikes and a couple did mention they had wished Honda would have given it a 6 instead of 5 speed transmission.  Could the issue I"m experiencing be the reason?  Thanks for any help you experts can give.

Bob H

Quote from: Sunsetter 61 on Jun 11, 2024, 02:02 PMI"m a little surprised at the "tallness" of first gear.  I had not expected to have to feather the clutch + throttle so much in leaving from a stop sign or light.
The first gear is not "tall" and there is no need to feather the clutch.
I have the same '93 and it takes off like any other motorcycle.
Give her the beans and just do a normal controlled release of clutch.
If anything it sounds like you are trying to take off without enough throttle, which is the most common reason why people dump their bike at slow speed.

I actually RAISED the front sprocket on mine from 15 to 16 tooth because I have awesome twisty roads all around my canyon and they go from tight technical turns to fast sweepers back to tight. With the 16 tooth sprocket I can stay in 2nd gear most of the time, winding out to 55-60 mph easily then the next tight turn down to 25 without having to keep going back and forth. And it does give me longer legs on fwy, I have no need for 6th gear.

You may want to confirm that the front sprocket on your bike is stock (15 tooth). A prior owner may have changed it.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Pete in PA

Bob and I both had to put in new clutches after we rejetted and released more power.

You'll want to check the front and rear sprockets for tooth count.  Front stock is 15  rear 38.  Front could have a 17 on it. I have a 16 and 38 good compromise.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Sunsetter 61

Noted.  Thank-you both.