Brake master cylinder - Would you?

Started by ThePowster, Nov 14, 2023, 09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePowster

Hey fellas, can someone look at this for me and tell me, will this fit the Nighthawk? It looks very cheap to me, and would you be prepared to fit this yourself to yours?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386267375319?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KuApsrKpTvu&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=4-kijXC1TBG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Id have thought the level would have cost more than that, let alone the entire master cylinder with piston, seals, cap etc.

Bit worried because as the saying goes, if something seems to good to be true, chances are, it probably is.

• 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S •

mollusc

I put things very similar to that on my 1982 Yamaha.  The first one worked okay for a while before mysteriously giving up.  The second one kept working until I got rid of the bike.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

ThePowster

That's refreshing to know, I think the new unit is way cheaper than a rebuild kit so I may take a punt and see what happens then.

For the life of me I can't find the clutch, only the brake master.

draser

Late reply, just saw this, but... what's wrong with the original one? I was able to restore mine (84 Magna) with some honing of the master cylinder bore using fine sandpaper rolled on a piece of hose. There was some corrosion inside, all good now.

ThePowster

The person who had my bike before me had put like chemical metal over the glass level for viewing the fluid, I guess it was leaking there. Also it would need a rebuild kit as you can see the piston area is all messed up. I don't think it's salvageable mine so I'll need new levers. Maybe from the Nighthawk 750 would work.

Bob H

Quote from: ThePowster on Nov 30, 2023, 04:31 PMMaybe from the Nighthawk 750 would work.
You folks in the UK have the NH 750 with twin front disc, so the hydraulics should be OK in terms of piston size etc.

I really wish my bike had twin disc up front. I put EBC HH pads which made the biggest difference, the braided lines provided some help I suppose.

I tried "shorty" levers once and realized I was giving up leverage for my mediocre front brake and went back to full length levers.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Steppin Razor

Quote from: ThePowster on Nov 14, 2023, 10:05 AMThat's refreshing to know, I think the new unit is way cheaper than a rebuild kit so I may take a punt and see what happens then.

For the life of me I can't find the clutch, only the brake master.
brakecrafters.com has the rebuild kit for the clutch.

Dustproof

Quote from: ThePowster on Nov 14, 2023, 09:02 AMHey fellas, can someone look at this for me and tell me, will this fit the Nighthawk? It looks very cheap to me, and would you be prepared to fit this yourself to yours?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386267375319?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KuApsrKpTvu&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=4-kijXC1TBG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Id have thought the level would have cost more than that, let alone the entire master cylinder with piston, seals, cap etc.

Bit worried because as the saying goes, if something seems to good to be true, chances are, it probably is.

The thing I don't like about this Master cylinder is that it has only 14mm bore, The Night Hawk with twin discs need 5/8" or 15.5mm Bore to push the correct amount of fluid.  The 14mm will work but might have the leaver closer to the bar.