Speedo no longer working 1991 NightHawk

Started by Jcota750, Oct 21, 2023, 03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcota750

Mostly making this post because I have yet to find anyone mentioning working on the speedo cable on a 1991-03 Nighthawk so basically I am going to document my findings in here in case another traveler has a similar issue. So far I have unscrewed the cable from the gauge cluster. Spun the front tire in reverse (not sure if the matters and I was on uneven ground at that time) No movement from cable gauge end. Today I will spin the wheel in the correct direction and see what we have. Most likely will remove cable at the wheel side and inspect from there. Will lubricate if replacement is deemed useless as the cable is pretty rusty. 

Pete in PA

Frequently the fitting at the low end of the cable breaks off.  Other possibility is the drive at the wheel broke.  Cable could have broken somewhere in the middle.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Jcota750

Yes hopeful its just cable I will investigate in the morning after work

Jcota750

Seems to just be the cable, auger was spinning fine while driving new cable being shipped maybe this one wont cause as much jumping in the speedo. I will try to get this one oiled more regularly.