News:

To the best of our knowledge, there are still no Nighthawks in Antarctica.

Main Menu

Brake pad advice

Started by Willie, Oct 05, 2023, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie

Now that I've got the carb jetting dialed in, it's time to improve the performance of the front brakes. Replacing the rubber lines with braided SS removed the sponginess completely.
Ideally, I'd like a pad with good initial bite. I don't care about longevity whatsoever since I don't cover a lot of miles each year.
I'd like to read other member's opinions on their choice of pads and why.
Thanks in advance for all responses.

Pete in PA

EBC HH.  Used on several bikes through the years.👍👍
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Bob H

Quote from: Pete in PA on Oct 06, 2023, 05:44 AMEBC HH.
Same - although they do tend to get glazed and lose that wonderful "honeymoon" phase where you almost poopoo your pants because you are able to finally lock up the front wheel (briefly).

I will never forget meeting Keith Code (wrote "Twist of the Wrist") in the 1980's and he was explaining his brake drill to me. Lay down a 12 inch patch of rubber with front brake at fairly low speed 20-30 mph and gradually work that up to freeway speeds. (of course not grabbing a fist full of brake, you do an initial pull to load the suspension and flatten the contact patch)

Anyway, whenever I change the front tire and have the wheel off, I pull the pads, clean the calipers, and SAND THE PADS with sandpaper on a flat surface. I have done that with 80 grit, 120 grit, doesn't seem to matter much but it makes them like new.

Just this week I have noticed that with my "single disc" late model NH 750 I am virtually unable to lock the front wheel at all, but do slow down in a hurry. I am running Galfer braided hoses and EBC HH, fluid changed last year.
1993 Nighthawk 750

capt42104

My opinion and why-Likely not what is safe or right, just what works for me and my style of riding and many bikes I have or had. Yeah I got the disease. I ride aggressive BTW. When I rescued my one owner '84 hanger queen, she had like new OEM metal pads (3300ish mile total on the bike), and I was looking to preserve the rotors whilst giving me the brake feel I like. I can vividly recall the way my buddy's super bikes would chrew thru rotors in the 80-90s with the early metal pads. Super grippy in all conditions but yikes the carnage. I deal with the, warm up, modulation, dust, and frequent pads changes. I get this from my early days of amateur racing (early 80s GPz550s and then 600 Ninjas), then several 100k miles of commuting and cross country + a few old guy track days and adventure riding.  My style of riding really likes semi-metalic and organics. This is especially on the older binders and NON-ABS stuff bikes I own/have owned. Did I mention I really like the fact they are really easy on the rotors? I currently am using Galfer Semi-Metalics on the S, FD054G1054, due to limited options and exclusivity to use Galfer or EBC only. I noticed the Galfer semi's emit much lower dust than the EBC V pads I have on my '85 GPz Turbo. They are extremely effective and predictable as well. Riding this little bike takes me right back to '85 when I was stunned how excellent the brakes were compared to the superbike AND it had disc/drum combo. With that, I would've preferred the Galfer Green (organic) or EBC Semi-Sintered V pads but they don't make em (or are available) for our little time machines. Good luck!
Current steeds:1984 Honda CB700S (project), 1985 Kawasaki GPz750-E2 (yes it's the turbo), 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R (desert bug out bike), 2017 BMW R1200GSA (camping trip anyone?), 2020 BMW S1000RR (yes, I have an addiction!) Previous steeds: Too many to list!

Willie

Now THAT'S what I call a response!!!! 
THANKS!!!

Larry Fine

I have read that racers tend to prefer OEM Honda pads over aftermarket.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

Willie

Quote from: Larry Fine on Oct 08, 2023, 12:38 PMI have read that racers tend to prefer OEM Honda pads over aftermarket.
Too bad they're NLA.

Bob H

Quote from: capt42104 on Oct 07, 2023, 10:43 PMI can vividly recall the way my buddy's super bikes would chrew thru rotors in the 80-90s with the early metal pads. Super grippy in all conditions but yikes the carnage.
Maybe the early pads did that - but for what it's worth I have not experienced excessive wear with modern HH pads.

My rotors look great with the EBC HH.
I expect some "tooth" marks, my texture is uniform across the rotor and acceptable to me.
1993 Nighthawk 750

capt42104

Yeah I agree Bob. My '20 RR has about 6k miles on the Nissin calipers and HH pads (only ones available at the moment) with maybe 200 miles being old guy track days and the rotors look decent enough I reckon. Then again as I sit here thinking, my '09 BMW GSA front and rear rotors had to be replaced at about 36k miles as they were grooved outta spec thanks to those OEM Brembo metal pads and more likely my "braking technique".  :o
Current steeds:1984 Honda CB700S (project), 1985 Kawasaki GPz750-E2 (yes it's the turbo), 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R (desert bug out bike), 2017 BMW R1200GSA (camping trip anyone?), 2020 BMW S1000RR (yes, I have an addiction!) Previous steeds: Too many to list!

Willie

FWIW, I ended up ordering a set of EBC semi-sintered V's that I found on eBay.
Thanks again to all who responded to my initial post.
Next up, perhaps, will be fork springs and/or shocks. ;)

capt42104

Nice! EBC part # please. Thanks!

Willie