News:

UPLOAD YOUR F*&%$G PICTURES TO A HOSTING SITE!!!!

Main Menu

Binding throttle movement

Started by Pete in PA, Feb 03, 2023, 08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete in PA

92 NH.  I'm going back together from cleaning and jetting my carbs.

After hooking up the throttle cables the throttle doesn't snap shut. I lubed the cables, gave it extra slack, still sticks. 
I'm having a hard time knowing if the throttle tube on the bar is friction free enough, are the cables smooth enough, I don't know.

The throttle plates snap shut fine on the carbs alone.

What lube if any do you guys use on the handlebar under the tube?

What do I look for?

Thanks.

92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

mollusc

Test each part individually, in turn, until the issue point is identified.  Does it snap when you pull on the cable without it being hooked up to the throttle tube?  Do both cables move freely when they're attached to the throttle tube but not the carb?  What about when you only attach the pull cable at both ends?
This issue is often just about the routing of the cable.  Cables can also start to bind up as they get old, so maybe it's time for replacements.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Larry Fine

Another possibility is the cable loop is too tight and sticking from simple friction. Honda cables are usually Teflon-lined and don't require lube.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

Bob H

Quote from: Pete in PA on Feb 03, 2023, 08:03 AMAfter hooking up the throttle cables the throttle doesn't snap shut. I lubed the cables, gave it extra slack, still sticks.
Do you have the Clymer manual? Pg 254-255 details the various issues.
My money is on something binding within the throttle tube assembly itself.
It has been a long time since I have had mine apart, but I know mine was sluggish when I put it back together and my issue was something not sitting right when I assembled the 2 halves of the housing thing for the throttle tube.

The manual mentions a "locating pin" for the lower throttle housing and that pin needs to go into a hole in the handlebar. If it is not seated in the hole, it won't go back in right and will bind, so it could be that.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Pete in PA

Thanks guys.  I'll mess with it more today. 

Sure is some argument over the forums about lube, no lube, what lube, for on the handle bar, under the throttle tube.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Bob H

Do you have the Clymer manual? It is the bible for the 750 late model NH
1993 Nighthawk 750

Pete in PA

Quote from: Bob H on Feb 03, 2023, 10:46 AMDo you have the Clymer manual? It is the bible for the 750 late model NH

Nope. Just the Pauls NH link to the HSM.  The 90's HSM  is the worst of the Honda manuals.  The black cover ones are good.

I'm not impressed with Clymer. They lumped all the V4 Hondas together in one manual. Can't do that. 1100 V65 bikes have a diaphram clutch spring with a special nut. Wasn't spelled out in Clymer. Had to stop, order tool, and wait.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk

Bob H

Based on years of terrible Clymer manuals for various vehicles, I had low expectations - but on the old forum it was described as the one to get.

Over the last 10 years I have been pleasantly surprised with the Clymer manual for this NH 750, as I have rebuilt carbs, pulled both wheels, rebuilt brake system, synced carbs, etc. For this specific edition, someone took the time to disassemble the bike and write accurate sequences, list torque values, and describe many "gotchas" to look out for. It is a jewel of a manual. The disassembled view photos have helped me many times. The wiring diagram alone is worth the price of the manual, with accurate color coding.

The official Honda shop manual is garbage. It reads like a lawyer wrote it, translated from Latin. Like the person listed out tasks but they have no real world experience or have never actually done it. I acquired the hard copy of official Honda shop manual a long time ago - and never use it after a couple attempts because the Clymer manual is that good, and the OEM manual is that bad.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Pete in PA

Well, maybe I'll get it eventually if I can find a good price.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk

ExTex

I don't remember which lube I used under the throttle tube on my old Honda (unsure of model).
Almost any light-weight lube should work.  There was rust on the handlebar under the throttle tube so cleaning was the 1st step.  Then a thin coat of a lightweight lube.

Pete in PA

Got it.   Now it snaps shut like it should.

I cleaned the light oil I had under the tube off and used silicone spray. 

I also had my grip on too far and it was hitting the end of the bar.

Got it all together and ran it in the basement quick.

Now onto the forks, brake pads, and brake fluid.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk