News:

That wasn't chicken.

Main Menu

My carb problems

Started by Gene, Nov 16, 2022, 10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene

I have a '85 Honda, this is what I sent to a Ebay seller of carb rebuild kits.

Hi,

I have a Calif '85 650 Nighthawk. I looked up the specs on jetting and it seems that the jetting was different for the Calif version, which leans it out, including the low-speed jets, which has stops molded-on them so they have a limited adjustment. I also have another problem, which is the air filter. The original air filter is NLA. I had to install a after-market foam filter which of course also changes the jetting. Can you help?

Any comments?

1985 Honda CB 650sc with 14,000 miles

Bob H

I have not worked on the 650 - but anyone rebuilding carbs may benefit from the following reference.
https://www.cb750c.com/publicdocs/SeanG/Honda_Carb_Manual_revG.pdf
It is dated 2013 and appears to have no subsequent revisions.
I used it on my 750 NH to reacquaint myself with the process before diving in.

Personally I would not consider an air filter to be a reason to change jets.
If you are keeping the stock air intake, you aren't really shaking things up too much.
Not like "pods" where you yank all that out, or major changes to exhaust, cams, etc.

If your bike is not running well, there is likely a small orifice that is not flowing fuel - which results from being stored. Also get a sync tool, I got the carbtune and there are good youtube videos on that. The home-made sync tools did not appear to be worth the time and you can get used "proper" sync tools on ebay
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

I think all 1980s US bikes have limiter tabs on the mixture screws.  If you do have a California bike, you will also have extra plumbing and a different fuel tank unless someone has done a lot of work to remove them.
If the jet is already lean, I would try to go up a bit if you're putting on a foam filter since that will lean it out even more.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Pete in PA

https://carbjetkits.com/

Go here.

They have worked great for me on 2 bikes and have a ton of great reviews.

Use their calculator.  It takes in alltitude, temp. mods to bike, etc. and gives you jetting.  Cheap also.$21.00 for new mains and washers under the needles.

Typically even stock  bikes need 1 size richer main and 1 washer per needle below 6k feet altitude.

Yes your Cali. bike is strangled even more then a  49 state bike. 
Your bike will go up 2 main sizes.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Gene

1985 Honda CB 650sc with 14,000 miles