Where to get battery cables with compatible lugs

Started by horta, Oct 21, 2024, 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

horta

I was a Honda Nighthawk member in Yahoo Groups for years (until that shut down). Eventually my bike had the ever-present electrical issues and sat in my garage for a few years. I bought a Livewire Del Mar a few months ago, and that actually got me inspired to get my 1983 550 working again. After putting the bike back together, plus new tires, front brake pads, and a new AGM battery (lithium ion never worked well on this bike, stranding me a couple times on the way home from work), I rode into work today.

I want to get new battery cables, but I am having the hardest time finding a place that has (or will make) cables with the 90-degree lug on the end that connects to the battery. Does anyone know of a site that will work?

My local motorsport shop said to try Platt Electric, but they don't do automotive cables and recommended I try, you guessed it, the motorsport shop that referred me. Fast & Quiet looked promising for 2 AWG custom cables because the positive and negative cables are different lengths, but they don't do 90-degree lugs. I figured it isn't worth it to make my own because I only need 2 straight lugs and 2 90-degree lugs, and I would need to buy a crimper that I will probably never use again.

Thanks.
1983 Honda Nighthawk CB550SC
2024 Livewire S2 Del Mar

mollusc

Is there a reason why you want to get new cables?  Can you source something from eBay if yours are in poor condition?

Li batteries generally aren't recommended for older bikes with weak charging systems and regulators that aren't designed for the newer battery technology.  AGM is the way to go for Nighthawks.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

horta

Some of the exposed copper strands have broken on the negative/ground cable end where it connects to the lug that connects to the battery. (See attached file.) And while putting all the pieces back together (from when I was troubleshooting a failed tail light), I could sometimes wiggle the positive cable near the starter solenoid/fusible link and all power would cut out. I couldn't tell for sure if it was in the positive cable or connection to/from the solenoid. And I couldn't reproduce the issue after reinstalling the cables when connected to the lithium ion or new AGM battery.

So I figured nice, new copper with no oxidation couldn't hurt.
1983 Honda Nighthawk CB550SC
2024 Livewire S2 Del Mar

mollusc

Ooof.  Yeah, that's ugly.  I would still see what you can find on eBay.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)