News:

So you think you cleaned your carbs, huh?  Think again!!

Main Menu

1983 nighthawk 650, nothing happens when turning key

Started by eskimo619, Sep 17, 2024, 06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eskimo619

Hey everyone, just recently picked up a 1983 nighthawk 650 real cheap to have something to tinker with.  Was told it last ran about 4 years ago and had some issue but owner couldn't recall as he bought as a project and never messed with.  With a good battery installed nothing happens when turning the key in the ignition.   I then confirmed power was getting to one side of the starter solenoid but not out the other.  Fuse was fine but I found water in the solenoid.  Had a new one delivered today and upon install and pushing in the connector the neutral light on the dash lit up even with key in off position.  Turn to on and nothing happens.  Hit the start button and other lights on the dash turn on but that's it.  I can also hear something on the opposite side make a noise when hitting the start button.  Not sure what that part is but it sits behind the left side cover.  Cylindrical shaped electrical piece.  I then did something else and managed to pop the fuse so stopped there.  Might of been when I pulled the clutch lever in.

Not a clue what's happening and I'm not a fan of Electrical at all lol.  But hoping someone has an idea on here to lead me in the right direction.  I was able to get the engine turning over putting battery power right to the starter and it's turns over strong.  I know the carbs will need work and don't expect it to run but still a good sign.  Also when I first put the new solenoid in I guess I had battery power going into the wrong side as it wasn't comming out the other so I reversed the cables and then had power going through.  Not sure if the solenoid only works one way.  Basically looking for any suggestions.  Thanks.

mollusc

First step is to get yourself a service manual.  That's the most essential tool for any old bike.  There will be a wiring diagram in it that will tell you which colour wires go where.
Which leads to the possible issue with your bike.  Aftermarket solenoids are often wired incorrectly.  You need to carefully check to make sure that each wire on the bike goes to the correct terminal on the new solenoid.  If things started lighting up right away when you plugged the new one in, it sounds like electricity is going to the wrong places.
I don't know your exact bike, but the regulator and charging system are often housed under the left cover.  Hopefully you didn't fry those by applying power in the wrong places.
Don't try to connect anything else until you've gone through a diagnosis process.  There's too much risk of destroying something unnecessarily.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

eskimo619

Quote from: mollusc on Sep 17, 2024, 07:09 PMFirst step is to get yourself a service manual.  That's the most essential tool for any old bike.  There will be a wiring diagram in it that will tell you which colour wires go where.
Which leads to the possible issue with your bike.  Aftermarket solenoids are often wired incorrectly.  You need to carefully check to make sure that each wire on the bike goes to the correct terminal on the new solenoid.  If things started lighting up right away when you plugged the new one in, it sounds like electricity is going to the wrong places.
I don't know your exact bike, but the regulator and charging system are often housed under the left cover.  Hopefully you didn't fry those by applying power in the wrong places.
Don't try to connect anything else until you've gone through a diagnosis process.  There's too much risk of destroying something unnecessarily.

This was purchased for $275 hoping I could get it running quick and ride around.  But not something I'll dive into further chasing electrical throughout as its not worth the hassle.  Was hoping someone has ran into the same symptoms outlined above and maybe something simpler I could check.  Have another project in the garage as well that's more important and in far better shape that I'm putting money into so most likely I'll just get rid of this bike.

Larry Fine

Some solenoids have the two large B and S terminals reversed.

Battery cable to B, Starter cable to S.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100
'07 ST1300

slodoug

yeah, I reversed my replacement when i got it, the labeling was backwards. check all the front fuses now. they get loose and popout (angle their tabs to keep them in). that should at least get you proper dash lights. the round relay to the left is the winker relay, get a digital replacement for $15.
1983 CB650SC