News:

Repeat after me:  pods do not work with CV carbs.

Main Menu

Tool Kit

Started by AussieLoki, Jul 25, 2024, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AussieLoki

Hello folks, building up a tool roll for my 2001 250 nighthawk yet my lack of experience with these bikes are showing (can't just have it full of zip ties and tape). Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should put in it? What size spanners, sockets, etc.
Rattles and squeaks=character

Bob H

Quote from: AussieLoki on Jul 25, 2024, 06:16 PMHello folks, building up a tool roll for my 2001 250 nighthawk
My #1 tool is flat tire repair stuff. I always carry "rope plugs", soapy water to help find source of leak if the screw or nail isn't stuck in the tire, needle nose pliers to remove the offending foreign object (sometimes the head of the screw is worn off, or thin nail, staple, etc.).
And something to inflate the tire with. I have small air pump, and you are talking about a tailbag or saddle bags to always have this with you. Could just roll it up and stuff it where you can on the bike. I have repaired several leaks on my bike.

Having a flat on a bike is a bigger deal than a car where you just throw on the spare tire. 
I test my skills whenever I am putting on a new tire - I drill a hole in the old one and patch it. Check air pressure the next morning to see if it held up.

As for size of spanners - 10mm, 12mm and 14mm
1993 Nighthawk 750

AussieLoki

Thank you! I'm running tubes so I have those old hot vulcanizing patches that burn and seal the thing. I've only got a little bag inside the empty triangle of the frame and a small tool roll on the forks. Outside of a tire flat kit, those spanners and a good ol' reliable Leatherman, anything else?

Bob H

Yeah, I would get rid of those tubes at the next tire change. I see no benefit if you have alloy rims.

As for tools, I also carry some long tie straps (not bungee cords - I am talking about strong straps with metal buckles). They will save you from the grief of carry something awkward in a more safe manner.
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

Electronic copy of your bike's Service Manual on your phone.
JIS screwdriver (there are NO Philips heads on your bike).  Flat screwdriver that you don't mind using as a lever or pry bar.  10mm nut driver and spanner.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

AussieLoki

JIS screwdrivers, got it! Never would of known till I stripped my first screw when I out in the bush somewhere so thank you very much for that detail. Got plenty of ancient yard sale flat heads that will make for a good lever, although I also carry tire irons (since the tubes) so might just use those instead. I'll see if I can scramble all that together with the 4 half filled tool boxes laying around (although the damn 10mm are always missing). I agree on the straps, done the same with the car and it's paid off a few times. 

I've got the Haynes book for this bike but I'll see if I can get the online service manual, definitely would be handy.