News:

Excuse me, but is that your pig?

Main Menu

Alloy wheels to spokes

Started by AussieLoki, Jul 24, 2024, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AussieLoki

Hello folks! I'm new to the nighthawk scene and been loving my 2001 going up and down the coast of sunny Australia. Only thing I would change is the wheels from the alloys to spokes while retaining a front disk brake, does anyone know of a swap that would work? Thank you and have a good day/night!
Rattles and squeaks=character

Larry Fine

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know, but I imagine that it would be easier to swap the entire fork and wheel from a bike with the same 41mm fork tube diameter.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

AussieLoki

Thank you! I'm a new but 3rd gen rider so this is all very exciting to me.
Any suggestions for the front fork? I've been trying to fill my brain with us much wrenching information as I can for these bikes, as well with the rear wheel any idea if the US spec nighthawks wheel is a direct fit including the brake? I wouldn't imagine honda making it more difficult for themselves by having a specific alloys vs spoke rear brake.

mollusc

None of the US Nighthawks have stock spoked wheels as far as I know.
Seems like it would be a big downgrade, not least because you would have to run tubes instead of tubeless tyres.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

AussieLoki

I'm still running tubes with the alloys so not to much of a fuss to me. I'll have a look around and see what my options are, thank you!

Bob H

Quote from: AussieLoki on Jul 24, 2024, 04:02 PMI'm new to the nighthawk scene...
Only thing I would change is the wheels from the alloys to spokes while retaining a front disk brake...
Looks like you are into the Cafe Racer look (or someone before you did the modification).

For the effort of replacing wheels, compatible brake mounts etc - I would just ride the crap out of that little Nighthawk and work up to something like a Triumph twin (with spoke wheels) or even a  Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. The whole bike would have character, and would be an upgrade.
1993 Nighthawk 750

AussieLoki

Old bloke was the owner before, they liked the old look of CB's but wanted a cheap new (at the time) platform. The tank is from a 78 (I believe) cb400 painted with fence paint.

Plan is to ride the crap out of it but I'm too sentimental to get rid of first vehicles. I know already that I'll be going to unreasonable lengths to keep it going (like the car), and with this things abundance of character, its a love story. I like low power motors (as well broke high schooler saving for uni, can't afford any of those big bikes nor should I probably be on them ;D ). I'll just be a knuckle head in my garage constantly tinkering on it!

mollusc

Quote from: AussieLoki on Jul 25, 2024, 06:12 PMI'm still running tubes with the alloys

Why????  That's not very safe, and defeats a lot of the purpose of tubeless tyres.
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

AussieLoki

How is it not safe? For why, just came with the bike when I got it.

Larry Fine

Tubeless tires can overheat when fitted with tubes.

Plus, a tube bursts at once, while a tubeless leaks slowly.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

mollusc

Also, tubeless tyres aren't designed to be run with tubes.  Consequently, the tubes don't necessarily press evenly on the tyre inner walls and you can end up with soft spots, uneven firmness, or unusual flexion.  Motorcycle tyres need to change shape in order to grip the road properly.  That's why it's recommended to replace them when they start to stiffen, regardless of how much tread remains (sometimes after as little as five years).
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

AussieLoki

The tires I'm running are tubed tires, shinko classics, very grippy here in Western aus where its bloody sweltering most of the time but every red moon when it rains... like ice.

They are 7 years old but soft, but chemically I know they're degrading and will look to replace them sometime in the future.

Are there knuckle heads putting tubes in tubeless tires? Why would anyone do that?