News:

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I like your pixie drink!

Main Menu

Let's talk coils... and spark!

Started by ThePowster, Jan 25, 2024, 03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob H

Wow, your post with images showed up as I was creating my post.

Quote from: ThePowster on Feb 25, 2024, 10:56 AMLeft coil #1
In your photo it is on the left, but sitting on the bike it is on the right. So that throws in a bit of confusion there - but I understand what you are saying.

Quote from: ThePowster on Feb 25, 2024, 10:56 AMLeft goes to spark plug 1
Right goes to spark plug 4
I don't think that matters. It is my understanding that when the coil sends it's output, it goes to both plugs at the same time. I would just go with the longer lead going to the furthest plug as a guide.

Quote from: ThePowster on Feb 25, 2024, 10:56 AMSounds an odd firing order to me that 🥴
If my theory is correct (that the coil fires 2 cylinders at once) then you can't really view this as a "firing order".
1993 Nighthawk 750

Larry Fine

Quote from: Bob H on Feb 25, 2024, 11:11 AMIf my theory is correct (that the coil fires 2 cylinders at once) then you can't really view this as a "firing order".
Your theory is correct. It's called a "wasted spark" system, but the actual ignition is what counts.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100
'07 ST1300

ThePowster

Guys, thanks a lot for your input, this really helped me and gave me the confidence to give it a go.

So I installed the coils, hit the starter button and ...nothing. So I hit it again, nothing.. Then I figured I'd try and bump it rather than flatten the battery. A little push, jump on the seat, into first and clutch out and boom she fired into life 😁

I put her on the side stand and just observed for a moment.

First I saw more white smoke than I've ever seen before, that's probably the 4th cylinder now firing 😄 but she sounded deeper too. 

I took the choke off and rode her around the carpark, baring in mind I have no brake line on the bike 😬 anyway she felt alright.

She wasn't pulling or revving like I wanted but the choke had only just come off and the engine was cold still. I'm hoping once she's warmed up a bit she'll then rev freely.

I've other parts of the electrical system to test but I can tick off coils, HT leads and caps for now at least and move onto other aspects of the electrical system.

V happy just having that little go. I've got a 2007 ZX-14 and honestly I'd be happy just riding the Nighthawk, what it doesn't have in speed it makes up for in character and I love it 😁

Thanks again for all your help and images and I hope this also help others. The firing order made sense too now thinking about how a crank works 👍
• 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S •

Pete in PA

You can get a stronger spark also by lowering the resistance. The DPR8EA-9 can be changed to DP8EA-9 plugs. Gets rid of 10k ohms resistance. Then you can open the gap to at least .042 in.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

ThePowster

Pleased you mentioned plugs Pete, I put in the ones out of the manual which it stated for high speed riding and I remember I never checked the gap of them as I didn't have a tool. I do now so I'll be sure to check that out asap too 👍

Interesting data about the plugs and gap.

Pete in PA

I've never used the High speed recommended plugs.  Not necessary.

You risk building up deposits with the colder plug.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

ThePowster

Update.

I took the Nighthawk round the block today to see if there was a change and holy moly ;D yep there's a difference alright. So I must have been running on 3 cylinders or something before.

Just need a brake line on it now, too dangerous running on rear brake only lol.

Happy with that  8)

coffee_brake

OP says the bike made a hissing noise after trying to crank. Electrics usually don't hiss, but compression issues might.
Jenn in SC
Concours 1000
Bandit 1200
Royal Enfield 650

Bob H

Welcome back Jenn. I remember you from the old forum.
I think you had a late model 750 NH and a VFR? (I still miss my 1986 VFR)
1993 Nighthawk 750

ThePowster

Just to add to this chaps and chapesses.

Bike starts and runs a lot better since the coil change. So whether it was ht lead, cap or coils, one of them had failed / was failing.

Right onto my next issue.