Gooodridge Brake Lines - Will they fit?

Started by ThePowster, Nov 14, 2023, 08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePowster

Afternoon fellas.

So I've been busy with the old Nighthawk. I'm still off road at the moment. I needed new screws for the master cylinder reservoir caps as mine were rounded and I had to remove mine with a flat head screw driver and a hammer and tap them round until they came out.

So I went to bleed my brakes and it was having none of it, then we saw spits of fluid on the tank and nothing was coming out at the bleed nipples. Even with a change of nipples (come to that in another post shortly) no fluid was coming out, so when I nipped everything up mega tight at the top it started to work but at the same time gushes fluid out of the stainless hoses, so these are junk now and probably 30 years old and going in the bin.

This is what my ends look like:

I've never seen brake lines like this before that you can twist and undo. All the ones I've put on blades and R1's etc in the past have been goodridge and been like crimped, so this must be an old style.

So Goodridge do this black shadow series, basically a black line with the addition of a black banjo part.

My question is, can I just measure my old lines and order 2 new Goodridge shadow black lines to the same length? Or have lines come on in that time and will I find they not work?

Thanks in advance :)
• 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S •

mollusc

Yes, you can order replacement lines from any usual maker.  I have Galfer on my 700S and had MotionPro on my Yamaha -- there is nothing special about them.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

ThePowster

That's great news. So it's just a case of measuring my old lines and ordering some new goodridge to that length with a straight (not tapered) banjo.
• 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S •

mollusc

Yep.  Many manufacturers actually already have the specs for lines if others have ordered from them before.
I remember that I when I ordered for my Yamaha, I could choose the angles of the ends to best fit the calipers and MC.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)