News:

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I like your pixie drink!

Main Menu

Why a Nighthawk and why a Forum

Started by Bob H, Aug 30, 2022, 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob H

Nighthawks haven't been made for 20 years and most are over a quarter century old.

Some people reading this may have an interest in Nighthawks because they see an affordable used motorcycle.
Honda made a lot of them, especially the 1991-2003 model

(photo taken 10 years ago, still riding my 1993 NH)

I am 66 years old, got my motorcycle license in 1971, riding a Honda 90.
I went through a lot of different motorcycles, including 3 Harleys and the original Honda 750.

When the first Nighthawk 750 was introduced in 1982 I thought it was truly a beautiful work of art.

A friend of mine, bought one brand new at Honda of Hollywood and we rode the canyon roads together. I was on a 1973 Sportster.

When the "S" model was introduced in 1984 I thought the gas tank was a perfect design. Similar to the classic sportster tank, but more "butch" and bad-ass. It had a shaft drive, like the 1982 Yamaha Seca I was riding at that time.

Other friends had the 650 Nighthawk, another great design. Before the Nighthawks, Honda's and other Japanese motorcycles at the time looked like you took a door off your house. The Nighthawks had style, while retaining the powerful engine and dependability of that era of motorcycles.

Why a Forum?
There may be Facebook groups serving the same purpose but I have saved over 1,000 hours of my life by avoiding social media - and all it's distractions.

Forums have an advantage of organizing data, like a library. If someone does an internet search, they are likely to find answers in a forum.
That answer will be from real people, talking about their real experience.
Forums can be a refreshing break from all the searching for answers that lead to someone trying to sell you something. A web page that poses as a review, but is really an advertisement or someone trying to skim a commission from links to where you can purchase something.

You can't purchase a new Nighthawk, so we aren't trying to sell you something.
Similar to the nostalgia of the Nighthawk, there is some nostalgia to Forums, which existed before Facebook.
There was a forum for Nighthawks that existed for at least 10 years - and it is being shut down by the previous administrator about the time of this writing. The loss of that information is a tragedy, but I suppose there is an expense and time commitment to keeping it operating.

Strong and resourceful spirits are keeping the flame alive with a new forum.
Many of them have bonds going back to rides together, rally's which I did not participate in as I live on the west coast.
Many have moved on to other motorcycles, but it doesn't really matter what you ride as long as the bond is there.
1993 Nighthawk 750

clearviewx

I agree with you on the social media.  I refuse to engage in them or sign up for them. 
2014 Honda CB1100 Deluxe
2002 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Adventurer

Well said Bob H, though I myself do use social media also. Forums are excellent databases, whereas posts on social media quickly fade into the abyss.
Every day is a gift.

Bob H

Here is a very clean example of a 1985 650 Nighthawk owned by forum member Greenspleen

Back when these bikes were new, I had a friend named Rod who was going too fast on Angeles Crest Highway (amazing road north east of Los Angeles).
He flew off a cliff and landed 50 feet down an embankment with only a sprained ankle.
The NH 650 was totaled of course, but luckily he had full insurance.

The first year for the Nighthawk 650 was 1982 as you can see below.
It had a single cam which was upgraded to dual cam the following year
1993 Nighthawk 750

Bob H

Honda made 450's forever. When I was in High School in the 1970's one of the many bikes I bought and sold was a 450 like this one (1970 model).
I bought mine dirt cheap, someone had cut the mufflers off and I never knew a small bike could be so loud.

As you can see, when 1982 came around the 450 looked considerably different

The following years 450 looked like this one, a 1985 model
1993 Nighthawk 750

Bob H

And the coolest looking 250 is the Nighthawk introduced introduced in 1991 sharing similar styling to the big brother 750
1993 Nighthawk 750