News:

Excuse me, but is that your pig?

Main Menu

Anti-dive question

Started by Willie, Oct 17, 2023, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie

I'd like to know if anyone has rebuilt their anti-dive mechanism. If so, please post any helpful comments about what you learned. Even better, I'd like to know if there's anyway to improve upon it.
The only alternative that comes to mind is to install emulators. If someone has done that, please comment on what you learned.
Thanks

mollusc

Which bike are you talking about?
I've read good things abut emulators on the 700S, but they can be pretty pricey.
I have never bothered to rebuild the TRAC, just cleaned it when I was replacing fork seals.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

draser

I had it all apart when I did the forks on my 82 Magna (similar suspension as yours). Other than cleaning and replacing fork oil there's not much else to do - just replaced the dust caps on the caliper bushing. In my case I replaced the springs with progressive wound (from an 84 Magna) and adjusted sag for my weight by adding several washers on top of the springs to increase preload. The ride improved and the front doesn't feel that floppy anymore. It's still kinda choppy over bumps so next step should be emulators.
There was a guy on the old forum that shared some info on the emulators, haven't seen him around lately though.

Willie

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention that mine's an '85 700S.  I installed emulators and springs from Progressive Suspension on my Suzuki GT750 and was very impressed with the difference.

Bob H

Quote from: Willie on Oct 18, 2023, 08:30 AM... I installed emulators and springs from Progressive Suspension on my Suzuki GT750 and was very impressed with the difference.
Personally I have not installed emulators, but on the old forum there was someone who did Gold Valves (Racetech) and said it made a big difference controlling brake dive.

If you have them on the other bike (similar damping rod suspension) then you should expect similar benefit.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Willie

Quote from: Bob H on Oct 18, 2023, 10:41 AMIf you have them on the other bike (similar damping rod suspension) then you should expect similar benefit.
My other bike doesn't have an anti-dive mechanism. Otherwise, I would expect similar results.
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the old forum is no longer accessible, right?

Gene

I have anti-dive on my 85 650 Nighthawk, and it's frozen. I bought the parts to rebuild it, but haven't started yet. I need to replace the fork seals, so I'll do both soon.
1985 Honda CB 650sc with 14,000 miles

Bob H

Quote from: Willie on Oct 18, 2023, 04:13 PM...My other bike doesn't have an anti-dive mechanism. Otherwise, I would expect similar results.
I was referring to your "emulators and springs from Progressive Suspension on my Suzuki GT750" and the comment on your first post about "The only alternative that comes to mind is to install emulators. If someone has done that, please comment on what you learned."

Again I don't have emulators - but do have a copy of Racetech's "suspension bible" (Paul Thede) where he says one of the benefits of emulators is reduced brake dive.
Quote from: Willie on Oct 18, 2023, 04:13 PMCorrect me if I'm mistaken, but the old forum is no longer accessible, right?
It is gone. Actually it died 2 painful deaths, a few years apart.
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

I have all of the content of the last forum archived, but it is not accessible by anybody else.  I plan to search it for info about the cartridge emulators and post what I find.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Willie

Having just looked at the prices for emulators ($200) and springs ($150) I see that they've increased in price since I last ordered them. I don't have the rationalizing skills necessary to justify buying them. Oh well. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Bob H

Quote from: Willie on Oct 18, 2023, 10:09 PMI see that they've increased in price since I last ordered them.
Inflation is crazy now. Gas is $6 where I live in California.
As for springs, that is all about sag... you may be able to set sag with adjusting spacers if you aren't too heavy.

My bike had original fork oil, changed it a few years ago and made a big difference just getting that watery garbage out of there (I used Maxima 10). Honestly for a damper rod suspension up front I am OK with it cuz I don't push it that hard.
1993 Nighthawk 750