News:

Repeat after me:  pods do not work with CV carbs.

Main Menu

Biting point adjustment

Started by ThePowster, Oct 12, 2023, 06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePowster

Afternoon fellas.

So having only rode my bike twice I have noticed I have some clutch slip when high in the revs. Also, my biting point is right out at the end and I only have a few mm to actually engage the clutch.

I have put on after market levers with master cylinders because on the original one the previous owner had covered the sight glass with a chemical metal as it must have been broken and it just needed bleeding all the time.

So right now I am not sure if a) there is such thing as an adjustment on a hydraulic clutch, or b) if I need new clutch plates or c) if it's the actual new master I have put on there that's contributing to this.

I understand this may be a process of elimination but it feels like it's going to be a very costly one.

Any ideas on how I can identify why I have no clutch play?

Many thanks in advance.
• 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S •

mollusc

Stock levers have no adjustment, and there is no adjustment in the hydraulic system.  You may need new plates, but I'm going to go with it being your aftermarket cylinder that's the main cause of the problem.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

ThePowster

Obtaining one in the UK isn't going to be easy....

Do you know if there is another one that would work? Maybe one from a CB750 or something? I wonder if one from an early Honda Fireblade would work.

mollusc

Did you keep the one you took off?  Replacing the sight glass with a watch crystal is pretty simple.  You could possibly just clean up the old one, refurbish it, and reinstall.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer ABS
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

ThePowster

Yep I still have it. I also have the one on the original nighthawk that I bought, I'll have to inspect both and see if I can make one good unit out of the two and test that, this will at least allow me to identify if it's my clutch that's gone or if its the new style clutch master I installed.

I am just looking on Youtube now for info on adjstment on this Brembo Racing Radial Brake Master Cylinder RCS 19 Corsa Corta replica thing. Lots of people installed it with good results. I know it has a Normal, Sport and Race button on it but I tried this to no avail.