News:

So you think you cleaned your carbs, huh?  Think again!!

Main Menu

Oil leak 1985 Honda Nighthawk 450

Started by isp184dude, Sep 14, 2023, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isp184dude

I've got an oil leak coming from the left-hand side of the crankcase, lower left side of the picture.  Does this screw out with a standard screwdriver?  If it does I can't get it out.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Willie

Although I haven't replaced a crank seal on a Nighthawk 450, I have replaced several on both bike and outboard motors. There are plenty of videos on Youtube to give you an idea of how to pull it out. I was surprised how simple the process was on every one that I've had to replace.
Good luck.

isp184dude

Thanks, I don't think it's coming from the seal, but from that lower left side that looks like a standard screw.  I have no idea what that is or if it can be pulled.  I would like to think so since it is leaking there.

Bob H

Quote from: isp184dude on Sep 14, 2023, 07:12 PMI've got an oil leak coming from the left-hand side of the crankcase, lower left side of the picture.
so it is leaking FROM THE FASTENER at the extreem lower left? Not the exposed seal?

Yes that is a standard slot head BUT there are different sizes.
If it is stubborn, you will want a hand held impact that you hit with a hammer.
I got one from Vessel Tools years ago (Japanese, their bits fit Honda well) and it has some larger slot head and some smaller.
You hit it with a HAMMER (not air drive, not electric). That forces it INTO the fastener recess while providing a slight rotation. Once a fastener STARTS to rotate, you are home free.

On the other hand, I see no reason to remove that fastener. I question if that is a source of leak, or if accumulated oil is just manifesting there.

If the oil leak isn't terrible I would just ride it, but I have had very old Harleys that leaked to mark their territory.
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

An old spring-loaded impact driver that you hit with a hammer would be ideal for that situation.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Larry Fine

You can often get results by hammering while applying torque on a large screwdriver.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

Willie

My faux pas. Although I admit to wondering what you were talking about when you asked about using a standard screwdriver, I failed to look more closely at the pic you attached.
As for a path forward, I couldn't agree more with the advice posted from fellow members.
Also, from the looks of the slotted head, unless you've already tried messing with it, it appears that it has been tampered with in the past.

isp184dude

Thanks for the replies.  I know it's leaking there when I left the bike tipped to that side overnight and the seal was dry but around the fastener was wet with oil and it had leaked onto the floor.  I wonder what would make it leak like that?  I appreciate the advice.  Anyone know where I can find a stator.  This one is shot.

Bob H

Quote from: isp184dude on Sep 15, 2023, 01:22 PM...the seal was dry but around the fastener was wet with oil and it had leaked onto the floor.
Odd place to leak from. When I have something like that I clean the region with something like Acetone, brake cleaner, or if nothing else simple green or kerosene and wipe thoroughly.

Lean the bike as you did before overnight, but check it hourly (on a day off) and VERIFY where it is coming from, even if you saw it leak once - double check the source.

How many miles on this bike?

Quote from: isp184dude on Sep 15, 2023, 01:22 PMAnyone know where I can find a stator.
On these older bikes, I always check Partzilla - Rocky Mountain ATV (etc.) to see if OEM part is available. Sometimes they are. Sometimes they are in stock because the part is the same on a lot of models.

Otherwise it is Ebay. Lot of salvage yards part-out the older bikes and I have been very, very lucky to find several body part panels for my 1993 with a blue color only made one year, including a front fender. That fender was same part used on a Magna, you will find that all the time with older bikes.
1993 Nighthawk 750

isp184dude

25k on the bike.  It is for sure leaking from there, but I can't get that screw out.  It is locked in there.  I have looked everywhere for a stator.  Can't seem to find one.