News:

They're not Philips heads, they're JIS.

Main Menu

Stainless steel brake lines vs. OEM

Started by kbutler6, Jan 17, 2023, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbutler6

I am replacing my front brake line this season.  Maybe first for bike (I am third owner) at 28,000 miles.  Stainless steel line or OEM?

Thanks.
1998 Nighthawk CB 750

ExTex

I recommend the stainless steel.  It does make the brakes work a bit better and looks great.

Many sellers on EBay, just pick one with with good satisfaction numbers (above 98%)

https://www.ebay.com/b/Brake-Lines-Hoses-for-Honda-Nighthawk-250/177924/bn_21076181?Material=Stainless%2520Steel&campid=5337590775&mag=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711%2D53200%2D19255%2D0&rt=nc&toolid=10001&_sop=12

draser

You can use either, there are several suppliers but I used TechnaFit which has a site where you can order your lines based on the old ones design (American company which make their own product). I ordered the stainless steel braided ones which come with stainless banjos, they've been working fine for 2 yrs now. Good prices too. Have them on the Nighthawk and the Magna.

mollusc

HUGE improvement going with stainless lines, including for the clutch if yours is hydraulic.  I've had several sets built by Galfer.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

draser

Hydraulic clutch on the Magna, works like butter.

Willie

Thought I'd restart this thread too in case anyone might be reviewing all the threads, especially the technical ones, for help or tips with getting their bike back in shape.
Today, I replaced the OEM brake lines with Galfer SS braided lines. If you gripped the old ones while applying the front brake, you could literally feel the line swell in your hand. I have now said goodbye to spongy front brakes.;)
Having noticed the less than ideal condition of the brake fluid when I removed the master cylinder cap, I decided to have a look at the contents of the clutch master cylinder after completing the front brake line swap and bleed. My guess is that it was original (ie. sludge in the bottom and no longer clear). The vacuum pump I used for bleeding the brakes made emptying the fluid a piece of cake. I flushed it with new fluid and bled it.
The End