News:

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I like your pixie drink!

Main Menu

removing the carbs on my NH

Started by Gene, Apr 16, 2024, 11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene

1985 650sc

I need to remove the carbs. I've done it before, and it's really difficult. The part that makes it most difficult is the filter box. It doesn't slide back far enough to allow the boots to clear the carbs. I hope there is an easier way. BTW, I have the factory service manual, and the Clymer manual, both make it seem like a half-hour job, and don't cover the things I'm mentioning. Several things I've done to make it easier, (but still not easy) is to remove the two screws holding the air box in the back, this and removing the voltage regulator from the left side of the air box allows the box to slide a little further back, but not quite enough to give enough room to slide the carbs out easily. I've been removing the boots, but it's quite difficult and I'm afraid I will tear one. Could removing the inner fender make it easier? Thanks for any suggestions.
1985 Honda CB 650sc with 14,000 miles

Bob H

Quote from: Gene on Apr 16, 2024, 11:20 AMCould removing the inner fender make it easier?
I haven't done it on a 650, but that is my solution on the late model 750.
One of my manuals said to detach the rear fender, and I didn't do it the first time as it seemed overkill.

But after doing it the 2nd time I found it provided room for everything to come off without drama.
Lube the rubber boots with silicone or something when going back together.

on the 750 you remove upper 2 bolts, then the plastic inner fender shoves down.
It just needs to move an inch or 2, I don't remove it from the bike.

1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

I always drop the fender on top of the rear tyre, which allows a lot more room for the airbox to move backwards.  Have never seen what the big fuss is with people complaining about removing the carbs, actually.  I've worked on vehicles with way less room for basic maintenance.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

slodoug

yes, easy t pop the rear fender down and loosen 2 top bolts to move it back, you should be able to wiggle the boots off the airbox and then off the carbs making them come off easily.
1983 CB650SC
1981 CM400A