What Did You Do With Your Nighthawk Today?

Started by mollusc, Sep 02, 2022, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollusc

I have always enjoyed this type of thread on every forum I've been part of, so I figure it's time to start one here as well.

In Nighthawk-related activity, I have been busy getting this forum up and running (of course) along with a teeny-tiny bit of sanding and other prep work on the plastics for my 700S, all of which are in my basement workshop instead of on the bike.  I also used my incredibly rudimentary Photoshop abilities to tinker with some possible colour scheme ideas instead of just going with the original red and black.  More on that in another thread on another day.

In other bike activity, I took a few minutes during lunch to research a worrying rumble that has been developing in my NC700X, and which really started to take shape on the ride back from West Virginia to New York.  Pretty sure I have bearing trouble on the transmission output shaft, which will mean splitting the engine cases to replace.  The job itself doesn't look difficult, but it does mean that I probably shouldn't ride the bike until I fix it.  Add it to the pile of stuff I gotta do.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

ExTex

That's a bummer.  How many miles on the NC700x ?

Stay Safe.  & Happy Labor Day

mollusc

About to hit 20k.  Pretty low, but reading the forum for those bikes it seems that some of the bearings were pretty low quality in the first years.  People have had to change wheel bearing at 7k.
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Bob H

Quote from: mollusc on Sep 02, 2022, 04:55 PM...a worrying rumble that has been developing in my NC700X, ...Pretty sure I have bearing trouble on the transmission output shaft, which will mean splitting the engine cases to replace.
Crazy at 20k miles to have that.
Although "out of warranty" sometimes manufacturers will step up to the plate if there is a known design or premature failure issue. I would consider the tranny bearing a "drivetrain" problem as compared to the known wheel bearing issue for that bike that they could consider wear & tear.
If you go to this link and expand the comment by David Kendall, he says
"At 30,000 it had rear bearings go. This was a fault and was fixed under warranty other than that 80,000 trouble free."
https://www.devittinsurance.com/bike-reviews/honda/honda-nc700x/
I have a 2016 Dodge Caravan and got something in the mail last year that there is a known issue with side doors and the warranty for that problem was extended to 150,000 miles.
You never know, if you don't ask you don't get.
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

Today was the first day in a while when it was fine enough for me to ride to work and I didn't have a bunch of crap to take in with me, so I rode the NC.  It's also my first post-chain ride, and whaddaya know, it seems like most of the concerning sounds/feelings have disappeared.  (There's still something there, but it's veeery subtle.)  My commute is barely 6 minutes so I didn't get to test things very thoroughly, but early indications are hopeful that I don't have to tear things down to get to the transmission bearings.
I've never experienced this kind of thing with a chain before.  So weird.
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Bob H

Quote from: mollusc on Sep 08, 2022, 05:06 PM... It's also my first post-chain ride, and whaddaya know, it seems like most of the concerning sounds/feelings have disappeared.
First ride since replacing the chain? Was the old chain past due?
I have gone through 2 chains on my 750 (on the 3rd one at 36,000 miles now).
The original chain was still on it when I got it at 7,000 miles, the O-rings where shot (20 years old) and had some stiff links. A new chain was much smoother, but it was a cheap chain and didn't last.

I am running an expensive DID chain now, and put a Scottoiler on it which keeps it constantly lubed - and I can tell the difference. It almost seems like a belt drive, completely smooth and silent compared to any other chain before.
Although the lube is supposed to just be inside the rollers, I swear there is a difference when all the O-rings move smoothly due to proper (constant - slight) lube and never dry out or rub against the side plates.
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

I don't know if it was the original chain or not.  Do Honda chains come with master links?  Because it had one.  20k on the bike so if it was the OEM from 2012, it was definitely time for it to go.
I also went with a DID and it's an amazing difference, even aside from getting rid of the rumble.  Much more responsive, much quieter, and much smoother.
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Bob H

Quote from: mollusc on Sep 08, 2022, 09:32 PMDo Honda chains come with master links?  Because it had one.
I just looked in my box of chain stuff, I saved the original chain on my '93 Nighthawk (to confirm # of links before going up a tooth on the front sprocket).
My original chain was made by RK, and I looked carefully on all links, both sides, twice and found no obvious sign of any master link. I assume they would use the "flair" type (rather than a clip) but I couldn't find any sign of a link that looked different, and I even kept the one pin that I pushed out to break the original chain.
They must have a machine that flares a master link, resulting in something more uniform. This is a guide I refer to when I flared my new one. That master link would have been obvious.

Quote from: mollusc on Sep 08, 2022, 09:32 PM20k on the bike so if it was the OEM from 2012, it was definitely time for it to go.
I check other forums for my "next" someday bike, and constantly hear of OEM chains that despite a brand name, do not last more than 7k. May not have been true for bikes from the 80's or '90's, but today they are cutting costs in chains, even tires that have a brand name but different than the ones sold retail.
I got a cheap, vacuum operated Scottoiler on Ebay, one of the best purchases I have ever done. It was like new, and in retrospect that is the one I would buy anyway because there is nothing to go wrong. No electronics. You can adjust the output as low as you like, the chain will have a slightly wet appearance and self-cleans as you ride, flinging off grime. About one drop every minute, to 2 minutes with vacuum applied to the unit. I can test it just by connecting the tube to a syringe and create a bit of vacuum. You see a piston move in the unit, and 30 seconds later a small drop starts to appear. Seems to take forever to finally drip - then 30 seconds later will start to form another.
My rim gets a bit of spatter on it, and eventually I get odd drips on the floor from accumulation on the chain guard - but I would do it again and especially with a fresh chain to ensure it lasts.
Quote from: mollusc on Sep 08, 2022, 09:32 PM...  it's an amazing difference, even aside from getting rid of the rumble.
I have noticed that when replacing an old chain - they get worn so they "stretch" and make a crunching sound as they work against the sprockets. Any stiff links add to the chaos.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Adventurer

Had new, radial tires, sprockets and chain installed, then topped her off with ethanol free gas.
Every day is a gift.

mollusc

Quote from: Bob H on Sep 08, 2022, 10:29 PMI got a cheap, vacuum operated Scottoiler on Ebay, one of the best purchases I have ever done. It was like new, and in retrospect that is the one I would buy anyway because there is nothing to go wrong. No electronics. You can adjust the output as low as you like, the chain will have a slightly wet appearance and self-cleans as you ride, flinging off grime. About one drop every minute, to 2 minutes with vacuum applied to the unit. I can test it just by connecting the tube to a syringe and create a bit of vacuum. You see a piston move in the unit, and 30 seconds later a small drop starts to appear. Seems to take forever to finally drip - then 30 seconds later will start to form another.
My rim gets a bit of spatter on it, and eventually I get odd drips on the floor from accumulation on the chain guard - but I would do it again and especially with a fresh chain to ensure it lasts.

I just use PJ1 Blue.  No stickiness, no accumulation of grime on the chain, no spatter.  Put the bike on the centre stand and give the wheel a quick spin every 500 miles or so.  Job done.
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Bob H

Quote from: Adventurer on Sep 10, 2022, 11:04 PMHad new, radial tires installed...
Did you go with Avon? The 18" front tire is a challenge these days.
I'm running Avon Spirit, look and ride the same as the Avon 3D XM.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Adventurer

Quote from: Bob H on Sep 11, 2022, 10:08 AM
Quote from: Adventurer on Sep 10, 2022, 11:04 PMHad new, radial tires installed...
Did you go with Avon? The 18" front tire is a challenge these days.
I'm running Avon Spirit, look and ride the same as the Avon 3D XM.

No, I'm told Avon's are back ordered 6+ mo., so I went with Pirelli's, as a rear bald tire simply was no longer an option.
Every day is a gift.

draser

Took the NH over the weekend for a nice ride in the Waterloo/Pinckney Rec Areas - Michigan, weather was splendid and the roads had some twists in them to make it interesting. Covered some dirt roads in there so I washed the bike yesterday.

McG99

I placed an order for the cylinder head gasket today.  I'm hoping it'll be an easyish job so I won't get frustrated and have the bike down for more than a Sunday or a few days if at worst I need to grab a little something before putting it back together.  probably won't tackle the job until later in Oct.  Want to have it done before Nov. though as my wife an I ride a toy run every weekend through Nov. and then into Dec.  Need to be up and running for that, cause I'm not riding the back of her ninja.........again!  hahaha

Leaky gasket by Matthew Gandy, on Flickr

Leaky gasket by Matthew Gandy, on Flickr

Bob H

Quote from: McG99 on Sep 17, 2022, 04:01 PMI placed an order for the cylinder head gasket today.  I'm hoping it'll be an easyish job so I won't get frustrated and have the bike down for more than a Sunday or a few days...
This will show you what you will be opening up. Mine leaks there too, and I decided to just clean it now and then.
1993 Nighthawk 750