News:

I don't know where you magic pixies came from, but I like your pixie drink!

Main Menu

CB700SC pistons and rings

Started by Bills CB700SC, Jan 30, 2024, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bills CB700SC

Looking for wisdom from the members:
I have an 84 CB700SC with 50k on the clock. I am looking to redo the bottom end, wondering if pistons and rings from a 2014 CB650 (same bore, 67mm) might fit? I know that pin to ring-land distance is critical. Can anyone shed some light? I am asking about this swap as I have not been able to find OEM oversize pistons and rings for this bike. I am a new member and apologize if I have posted in the wrong location.
Thanks,
Will

mollusc

Why do you think you'll need oversize?  Reports have typically been that they'll still have the factory crosshatch on cylinder walls at that mileage.  Confirm on your own engine, but I would just suggest new rings and a very light hone to help them break in.
New bearing shells on the crank is a good idea though.  Pay particular attention to the #3 cylinder as the '84 bikes had a slight tendency to starve for oil there.
There should be thickness codes stamped on the case and the crank, and I know that the Honda Service Manual has bearing colour crossreferences for them so you know which replacements to order.  After installing, use Plastigauge to check that you have the right thicknesses.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Bob H

Quote from: Bills CB700SC on Jan 30, 2024, 10:22 AM...I am looking to redo the bottom end.
Why? Is it making noise? Do you have a rod knock or symptom?
1993 Nighthawk 750

Mryan677

Just want to say I just rebuilt the bottom end on a 84 with 55k. I replaced with stock size rings. I was surprised how good everything looked with that many miles, still some cross hatching. New rings and light hone and I think it will be good to go. I replaced the alternator chain, drilled a hole in the case by the pulse generator, and replaced the cam chain while I was in there. I didn't replace any of the bearing shells, they all looked good and were in spec.

draser

QuoteI have not been able to find OEM oversize pistons and rings for this bike

So you're overboring +1 as well (didn't see that in post). Can you share what led to this decision, was engine burning oil, low performance/compression?