How is the Hondaline '91 - '03 backrest / rack mounted? Any info on other racks

Started by slmjim n Z1BEBE, Nov 29, 2023, 06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slmjim n Z1BEBE

Specifically, how is the Hondaline rack supported at the rear?

We're looking to set up one of our '93 Nighthawks for day / weekend trips, with a minimum of storage. The Lovely Z1BEBE would like to have, at least, a backrest. In a perfect world, said backrest would be integrated into a top box suitable for lightweight stuff (a couple of rainsuits) similar to that of our ST1300. Clearly, a Nighthawk box could not be the same size as that on our ST1300. She just likes to know something is back there. A security blanket of sorts.

Our ST1300 would continue to serve as our long-distance / weeks-on-the-road mount.

While browsing backrest / racks on fleabay we saw an aftermarket item that required some of the tailpiece be cut for clearance. Not happening for us, but made us curious how Mama Handa designed the rear mount for the Hondaline rack.

Could someone who has a Hondaline backrest / rack on their '91 - '03 Nighthawk please post a pic or two of how it's mounted at the rear?

Related inquiry; If anyone has an aftermarket rack / box, such as the Hepco & Becker (or any other brand) unit installed, could you please respond with an indication of satisfaction, fit & finish, etc.?

TIA.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

'72 Z1 x2
'74 Z1-A x2
'75 Z1-B x2
'93 CB750 Nighthawk x2
'09 ST1300A

mollusc

I had a K&G Engineering rear rack with detachable backrest on my 700S.  It was well-made and did not require any cutting or modification of the bike, although the paint had started to flake a bit after 30 years in the sun.  It was universal fit so it should be suitable for the CB750.  It would not support side cases, but worked well with a tail bag.

eBay is probably going to be the best option for sourcing one.  They were relatively common in the 80s but haven't been made for a long time so the supply is pretty limited.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Pete in PA

The Honda one for the 91-03 also required cutting the tail section.

the cuts are right where the rear of the seat meets the tail section and are covered by the seat if you cut the bare min. off.

My bike came with the Mutazu one still available on Ebay.  Close to a clone of the unobtainium Honda one. Plus you can unbolt the backrest from the rack.

My backrest is off and I have a tailpack strapped to the rack.
Backrest portion gets in the way of the full luggage rack surface.

http://dalewarren.blogspot.com/2013/04/zens-comin.html

Here is a site that has pics and descriptions of the rack and mounting.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Larry Fine

The K&G Engineering line also included a complete rear luggage system. Here are pics of my '96 "CB750ST" with a Vetter Windjammer 5 and K&G luggage:

'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

Bob H

Quote from: slmjim n Z1BEBE on Nov 29, 2023, 06:38 AMSpecifically, how is the Hondaline rack supported at the rear?
This is the OEM rack. Got it used last year on Ebay for reasonable, after trying the aftermarket knockoff by Mutazu (it arrived wracked and holes way off - returned it).
Some have had luck with the Mutazu and I would be OK with that one, as initially I did not really want the vertical piece.

I installed a Nelson Rigg Tailbag, cut thin plywood to same shape and bolted through the rack

Cortech 2 bags

The OEM installation PDF is available online if you search for it. Here is the part where you have to cut the rear cowl plastic
1993 Nighthawk 750

slmjim n Z1BEBE

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Kudos to Bob H. for the detailed pics. That's exactly the images we wished to see.

The Lovely Z1BEBE really likes the K&G Engineering rack / box on Larry Fine's "ST750". The hard side bags wouldn't work for us; they're too wide, and we don't really need them anyway.  Unless they're easy on/off similar to the side bags on our ST1300A, there's no way we could angle the bike into it's garage space between the wall, the garage door frame & the truck's bumper. There's only a couple inches wiggle room the way it is when parking a nekkid Nighthawk. We have to park our Nighthawks in line, between the garage wall & a full size RAM pickup.  There's barely enough room for either of us to squeeze between the ends of the handlebars and the side of the truck if we need to get to a storage rack that's next to the truck's front fender.

Is the rack / backrest fully integrated into the K&G saddlebag mounts in such a way that the rack cannot be used alone without the saddlebag mounts visible?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
'72 Z1 x2
'74 Z1-A x2
'75 Z1-B x2
'93 CB750 Nighthawk x2
'09 ST1300A

Bob H

If you really need a rack (and not saddlebags) then keep in mind that the OEM Honda rack is so small as to be almost useless. Here you can see my medium size tailback is twice as big as the rack, which I solved with plywood.

I never carry a passenger, so have another bag at the passenger seat. My arrangement works for me, but all the passenger area bags have to come off to access battery etc. and remove the seat. A larger tail rack may be more practical for you.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Larry Fine

Quote from: slmjim n Z1BEBE on Nov 30, 2023, 07:38 AMThe Lovely Z1BEBE really likes the K&G Engineering rack / box on Larry Fine's "ST750".
Thank you. I got the complete setup, the Vetter and the K&G, complete with mounts, fresh off of an '82 CB750C, for $50 plus about six hours of driving. Here's my install thread:
https://www.vetterowners.com/threads/the-wj5-is-going-on-the-nighthawk-after-all.869/

QuoteThe hard side bags wouldn't work for us; they're too wide, and we don't really need them anyway.  Unless they're easy on/off similar to the side bags on our ST1300A . . .
Almost as easy. At the top of the inside of each bag, there is a knob you loosen three to four turns to remove, and tighten to secure.

QuoteIs the rack / backrest fully integrated into the K&G saddlebag mounts in such a way that the rack cannot be used alone without the saddlebag mounts visible?
Rather than post pics, see:

https://v4musclebike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37692
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100