News:

Side effects may include constipation, skin rash or dermatitis, dizziness, or drowsiness.

Main Menu

* Video * Engine whine - With 'New' Nighthawk Review

Started by ThePowster, Oct 10, 2023, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePowster

I don't know which category to put this in as I'm not sure if it's electrical or engine or what this is.

So I did a video today and my Nighthawk is making some really strange noises. I've never heard a bike do this before. You can clearly hear it at stages all the way through the video.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has this happened to you before and if this was your bike, where would you look first ?

• 1984 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S •

mollusc

Interesting.  It doesn't seem like it's related to the engine speed.  Can you try to systematically eliminate some systems?  When you hear it, pull the clutch to see if the noise is affected, and/or rev the engine.  Apply the front brake and the rear brake separately, that sort of thing.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

ThePowster

I don't know why that never occurred to me, but that's a great idea! Thanks, I'll do just that and let you know if the clutch or brakes affect the whirring sound.

Speaking of clutch I tested it yesterday with the lever on normal and it actually seemed ok. With engine otf, in gear I could pull clutch in and move the bike, before this wouldn't happen it would stay stuck in gear like it wasn't disengaging it, but now I can push it freely in gear clutch pulled in. Could still need new plates though as I am getting clutch slip.

I'll keep you posted when I get chance to take it out and test various things.

ThePowster

I took the bike out today and she started making that noise almost straight away. I tried applying front brake, rear brake, pulling clutch in and nothing was affecting the sound. Strangely enough when I bank her over that quietens it a bit, then when it wants it just stops.

No idea what's going on. I'll try all the variables I can think of, remove Speedo cable etc and see if I can fathom it, if I do I'll report it here.

Pete in PA

I frequently have tires that whine while straight ahead, then goes away at the slightest lean.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.