News:

Side effects may include constipation, skin rash or dermatitis, dizziness, or drowsiness.

Main Menu

Manual for 750 Nighthawk 1991-2003

Started by Bob H, Feb 03, 2023, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob H

Over the last 11 years I have been pleasantly surprised with the Clymer manual for this NH 750, as I have rebuilt carbs, pulled both wheels, rebuilt brake system, synced carbs, etc. For this specific edition, someone took the time to disassemble the bike and write accurate sequences, list torque values, and describe many "gotchas" to look out for. It is a jewel of a manual. The disassembled view photos have helped me many times.

Based on years of terrible Clymer manuals for various vehicles, I had low expectations - but on the old forum it was described as the one to get, and it is. You can often find them used if you look.
https://www.amazon.com/Clymer-Honda-Nighthawk-1991-1993-Motorcycle/dp/0892877502

(Edit) see March 10, 2023 post below regarding the official Honda shop manual (there are 2 different versions of it)
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

I believe that people have found errors in both the Honda manuals and the Clymer manuals.  I've never seen the Clymer for the 700S but my understanding is that it's not great.  I've never been a fan of them myself.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Bob H

Quote from: mollusc on Feb 03, 2023, 04:56 PMI've never been a fan of them myself.
Oh they are TERRIBLE for some vehicles. I have had cars that I was repairing and the Clymer manual was garbage. Likely some motorcycles as well.

But for the late model 750 the person doing the tear down, and sequence of repair steps, what to look out for, is amazing. For that one model it is the best manual I have ever used, on any vehicle and I am 67 years old & rebuilt several engines and owned over a dozen motorcycles over the years.

If you haven't used the manual for late model 750 then it is hard to compare with Clymer for something else. They have different authors. This one is written by Ron Wright.
I have not encountered errors, or things not consistent with I am working on.  One of the more recent uses was when I replaced front fork seals (complete disassembly) and steering head bearings.  If I didn't have that manual, it would have been like a journey without a map.

As far as I know, it is the "Only" aftermarket manual for the late model NH. If you do a search right now you will find Haynes, they are selling the Clymer manual for this bike (maybe they bought Clymer).  I have had other vehicles where Haynes rocked, then got another vehicle and the Haynes manual was junk, but over the years I preferred Haynes, but they never wrote a manual for the late model 750 that I am aware of.

(Edit) see March 10, 2023 post below regarding the official Honda shop manual (there are 2 different versions of it)
1993 Nighthawk 750

Pete in PA

Just picked up a used low cost Clymer for my 750 based on what you said.

It is very complete.  Covers everything from starting engine cold and hot, troubleshooting, etc.

Hope there are no mistakes.  Since it's not a multiple bike manual should be good.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Bob H

Awesome, I also got mine used on Ebay.
Quote from: Pete in PA on Mar 03, 2023, 09:55 AMHope there are no mistakes.
In 11 years I have not found one mistake.
Mine has post-its sticking out all over the place from when I have changed fork seals, steering bushings, pulled carbs, replaced handlebars, rebuilt brakes, debugged some wiring, torque settings, etc.
Even the torque settings are sensible, unlike the factory manual for your FJ-09 oil drain plug & chain slack.
I have not had any issues with this Clymer manual, and noticed that "Haynes" is selling this exact manual now under their brand.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Larry Fine

As a wireman, I like that the Clymer wiring diagrams are drawn in the colors of the actual wires.
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

Pete in PA

Quote from: Larry Fine on Mar 03, 2023, 02:17 PMAs a wireman, I like that the Clymer wiring diagrams are drawn in the colors of the actual wires.

Mine is black and white.  This bike is simple though.  Only 4 fuses.😮
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
Previously: 250 Nighthawk, FJ-09, ST1300, FZ-07, CBR1100XX, V65 Sabre, 83 650 Nighthawk.  Two XR650L's, KLX650C.

Bob H

Quote from: Pete in PA on Mar 03, 2023, 05:02 PMMine is black and white.  This bike is simple though.  Only 4 fuses.😮
Mine too, has text to describe color of wire, but the diagrams aren't color.
Oh well, it is otherwise a great manual.
1993 Nighthawk 750

Larry Fine

I must be remembering my ST1100 manual.  ::)
'72 CL450
'73 CB750
'82 CB750SC

'96 CB750ST
'01 ST1100
'96 ST1100

Bob H

Although this bike was made from 1991 to 2003 with only color changes, I just discovered that there are 2 different official Honda OEM manuals for the late model Nighthawk.
Honda created a manual in the 1990's then came out with this revised one subsequently (which is MUCH better than the original OEM manual).

There are free copies of the older manual floating around on the internet, but I couldn't find a free version of this updated manual so I paid $18 to download.
I am a firm believer in having reference material, and believe it is a good complement to the Clymer manual because it has different photos, different diagrams, and you may pick up something helpful when parts are scattered all over your floor.

If I only had one manual I would still choose the Clymer manual because it is arranged in a very matter of fact, sequential manner with attention to pitfalls to avoid.

For example it tells you to make a drawing of your hoses connected to the carburetor, to assist when it is time to reassemble. You don't get those kind of tips from a Factory manual.

The OEM manual is also essentially sequential, and again is much better than the 1990's version which reads like a lawyer wrote it, translated from Latin.

The 1990's version lists out tasks in a very cryptic abbreviated manner, like the author had no real world experience or had never actually done it. It often refers to a "Common Service Manual" and explains on page 1 that the 750 Nighthawk manual only contains data specific to that model (so it leaves out data that is in the "common" manual).  It is about 1/2 inch thick, not small, yet often you will encounter "refer to the Common Service Manual" for something you are in the middle of, and unless you have the other manual and go back and forth you are screwed, it is like encountering detours on your journey. I do have the "Common Service Manual" which is also cryptic, not user friendly.
The 1990's version has fewer pages than the 365 page 2000 edition of the OEM manual
I would like to credit https://motorcyclemd.com for pointing out that there are 2 manuals for this bike. He has several free youtube videos on how to remove these carbs, put them back in. He makes a comment that all of the Honda manuals from the 1990's are terrible (he is employed as a Honda mechanic) and holds up the newer manual and states that it is the one to get. I did pay for his $40 video series on rebuilding NH carbs as well as watching a dozen other youtube videos because I am a data whore. For me, it was worth the money. He is very, very thorough.
1993 Nighthawk 750

mollusc

Moderator note:  I removed a link to an unauthorised reseller of copyrighted material from the post above.
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2012 Honda NC700X
2005 Vespa GT200
1982 Yamaha Maxim 550 (sold)
2006 BMW R850R (sold)
1981 Honda CX500B (sold)

Pete in PA

The black Honda manuals are great. The blue 90s ones do suck.

Had both through the years for various bikes.
92 Honda 750 Nighthawk